From our beginning, Alinea Chambers has adopted a high technology approach to our practice, embracing the use of online communication and technology. As the current circumstances evolve, we remain committed to our innovative approach and have embraced the new procedures being implemented in our courts and tribunals to deliver the same high standard of service to our clients.
Our barrister members continue to work through a variety of online means including through participating in online hearings. Some instances of our barrister members adopting the new practice and procedures include:
- Michael Henry SC appeared in a hearing remotely conducted for an urgent application for a stay of orders made by ASIC before the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.
- Melanie Cairns appeared via video link in Federal Court of Australia proceedings before the Hon Justice A M Stewart with senior counsel.
- Patrick Holmes has appeared with David Thomas SC by teleconference in a hearing to approve notices to class members in the NAB CCI class action.
- Tamasin Jonker appeared in a series of remotely conducted Federal Court hearings via Skype and Microsoft Teams in an urgent application arising out of the Covid-19 pandemic for relief for the Administrators of the Colette Group from personal liability for rental payments, led by Vanessa Whittaker SC.
- Leanne Rich has appeared by video link before the Hon Justice M L Ball, in the Supreme Court Dick Smith proceedings led by Ian Jackman SC and Justin Williams.
- Catherine Hamilton-Jewell appeared before the Hon Justice K Rees by telephone in an expedited application for leave to manage a corporation. The application was heard and determined urgently due to commercial requirements arising from the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Dominic Delany appeared by way of telephone before the Hon Justice A Black in a statutory demand matter.